This article was originally published in Career Education Review on February 13, 2019.
We gave a talk at a conference recently. We began by asking a question to the audience:
Imagine you are running a marketing department (most in the room were) and you’re only allowed to be excellent at one skill set – and mediocre at the rest – to help you meet your objectives. Which of the following would you choose, and why?
- Extraordinary design skills
- Tremendous copywriting or persuasive communication skills
- Permission to split test ideas without fear of failure
- Excellent brand-building social media campaigns
- Effective media buying and the ability to find pools of interest